He Said/She Said by Erin Kelly
Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton
Goodreads Summary:
In the hushed aftermath of a total eclipse, Laura witnesses a brutal attack. She and her boyfriend Kit call the police, and in that moment, it is not only the victim's life that is changed forever. Fifteen years on, Laura and Kit live in fear, and while Laura knows she was right to speak out, the events that follow have taught her that you can never see the whole picture: something, and someone, is always in the dark.
Rating: 4.5 Stars
Review: Laura and Kit once saw an eclipse together; a beautiful moment, but perhaps they would choose to sacrifice it if only to escape the horror of what happened in the aftermath of that eclipse. Dragged into a high profile trial, they will never be the same. Fifteen years later, they're still running from the past. But eventually they will have to face it...

I definitely have a love/hate relationship with this book. There were moments I absolutely loved, moments I hated, moments where I doubted my thoughts on the events that occur in this book filled with controversy. Laura and Kit both have truly flawed characters, something which I appreciate, but still hate.

He Said/She Said is a multi-sided, a classic who do you believe? tale. I was jerked from side to side, my opinions changing with the completion of each chapter, each dose of information just another slightly zoomed out but still largely magnified big picture.

The characters? Masterfully crafted. That doesn't mean I didn't hate every single one of them at one point or another. In fact, I can almost believe that Erin Kelly actually made them this way on purpose! No character in He Said/She Said is faultless for though they may seem like so at the beginning, this assumption is quickly proven to be just that.

An excellent story with detail, lots of character development and plot twists, what could be missing? Oops, I forgot to mention the sometimes scarce (or nonexistent) action. Action is an important element in my opinion, and it just didn't meet my expectations. Time in the book could've progressed faster and perhaps produced more action but it's only a matter of opinion. Erin Kelly has created a wonderful, complex tale about a young girl struggling to come to terms with what has happened to her.
Purchase Location: ~I received a copy from Hachette NZ and willingly reviewed it~
Edition:
Paperback
Buy the book:
Book Depository
Recommended for: Fans of mystery thrillers and psychopaths.